Monday, May 10, 2010

Post Mother's Day Meanderings


So...at first glance....my Mother's Day sucked!!!! It was a day I would wish on no one filled with cleaning up backed up sewage off my basement floor. And if your wondering....the smell was staggering. Mix that smell with straight bleach and you have the feeling your nostrils are being burnt by chlorinated poo!!! Needless to say, by the time I had Sunday/Mother's Day dinner ready, none of us found food any too appetizing.
I really was feeling sorry for myself (a spot I only rarely vacation at) but felt pretty justified in yesterday. With the sewage and a few other not as big but just as unsettling things happening, I was preparing myself for a real pity party. Then some friends from facebook whether knowingly or unknowingly set me real straight, real fast.
First of all, at the same time I was going through my little fiasco...my aunt was preparing for a mastectomy (wish I was there), a cousin of mines little grandson was found to have a tumor on his brain stem and several others on his spine, and another friend of mine has found a lump in her breast and is waiting to find out if it is cancer or not. So in the big scheme of things....cleaning up a little sewage really isn't a big deal.
I then had a fb friend tell me that motherhood is not perfect, so why should a day honoring mother's be perfect? Motherhood is messy, stressful, sometimes heart wrenching, and always rewarding....but NEVER perfect. So why wouldn't Mother's Day reflect motherhood? And at the end of the day, my kids were there, we all pitched in and got the place cleaned up, everyone was happy (as happy as you can be cleaning up poo that is), we were healthy and I really had no major complaints.
So when I finally hit my pillow last night, I was exhausted, but no longer did I feel the least bit sorry for myself. Instead...I felt very blessed. My basement was clean (which it needed anyway) and for the most part....in the big scheme of things...all was right in my world. So....as Mother's Day go....mine really wasn't all that bad.

No comments: