Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Surviving Valentine's Day

Well....I survived the holiday of lovers one more year....without a lover. This year it was a feeling of mixed emotions. This year was the first one where I might actually have liked having someone to wine me and dine me...or at the very least brought me a pizza and a movie. I think this is the first year I have really felt anything about Valentines since 2001. Progress???? Lets hope so.

I did however find out that my mammogram came back with everything looking great. That was the best Valentines gift I could ever have gotten. I got to spend the day with my little man who started the day out sick and ended up absolutely fine. Was he just playing hooky? I am not sure he grasps the concept, but whatever the case, about 11 a.m. he was raring to go, so my day of snuggling on the couch with my little guy quickly turned into a day of laundry, cleaning and chasing him from mess to mess. At least we got in one episode of Spongebob and The Young and the Restless together.

Last night I even allowed myself to do a bit of reminiscing. I thought back over the night I met the man who became my husband. I knew he was special a few weeks down the road when he watched me puke....and still wanted to continue seeing me. Those kind of guys are hard to find. I thought back to the proposal that swept me off my feet and the wedding which swept him off his (both stories for another time). The soundtrack of our lives was Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Byrd, So Help Me Girl by Joe Diffee, and Cross My Heart by George Strait. Never did a Valentines Day go by that I was left feeling anything but loved and cherished....and I always tried to return the favor. I remembered once telling Tim that Valentines was just a day and I thought it was ridiculous that people made such a big deal about it. After all.....shouldn't people who love each other show it everyday and not just one day a year? Now mind you.....I probably hadn't had  time to go out and get anything and time was likely running out. Tim in all his wisdom looked at me and said...."special people who are closest to your heart....deserve special days and Valentines Day is a special day and there is no one more special or closer to my heart than you!" Needless to say....he got a really good gift that year!

So I am moving on and looking ahead. This year was baby steps and I realized that Valentines is not a horrible holiday which should be outlawed,  but perhaps a day in which I might someday like to once again participate in. Did I say baby step.....I meant giant step!

All in all....yesterday was not half bad. David enjoyed his day off (ill gotten as it was) and I got my laundry manageable, my house livable (now when I try to clean my closet....I can actually find it) and I had a really nice walk down memory lane. So as days go....Valentines 2011 wasn't all that bad. Who knows....maybe Valentines 2012 will be even better.

No comments: