Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Today we remember the person that brought us into this world. Fed us! Clothed us! And the one who took care of and nurtured us. She was our disciplinarian and our biggest cheerleader. She is also the one we spent years telling  "In a minute," "Do I have to?", and  "He/She did it!" She is the one we gave gray hair to, caused to spend many sleepless nights over our health and our bad choices (or maybe that was just my mom), and the one we ran to with our knee scrapes and heart breaks. Yes....today is the day we celebrate MOM!

At my age and in my generation....we are long past the age of thinking our mothers were sadly misinformed about the world and simply had no idea of what they were talking about. We are now fully aware of just how wise she was and what a keen sense of the world she really had. It was us in our faux wisdom that were sadly misinformed and had no clear understanding of what the world was about.

Also at my age....sadly many of my friends have begun to lose their mothers and I know quite well (this will be my 9th Mothers Day without mine) that there isn't a one of us that wouldn't give just about anything to hear our mom's words of wisdom just one more time; to hug them just one more time; or to be able to tell them "I love you," just one more time.

For those of you who still have your mom's....today is the day to forget that she doesn't like your boyfriend, that she tries to tell you how to raise your kids, or that she is spending your inheritance on a cruise around the world. Today is the day however.....to remember that she has always been there for you, that she loves you beyond words, and that she simply is not going to be around forever. So cherish her and never forget that when she is gone....Mothers Day will never be the same.

So to all my family and friends.....I wish you all a very Happy Mother's Day and I leave you with this video my son Z made of his grandmother.....my mother......Mary Jane Dougherty Jacques.


No comments: