Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Riverside Cafe of Derby...A Fantastic Experience

Okay...okay! I know I said I was on hiatus....and really....I am, but when something excites me.....I just gotta blog. Today I was excited. In fact I was so excited that it threw me out of my week long...."I want to take my toys and go home," funk. Well at least it put a band aid on it and made me want to take the time to blog.

So what am I so excited about? Derby has a new restaurant. For those of you who are scratching your head and wondering what a Derby is and why a new restaurant is so exciting....I will tell you. Derby is a small town just to the south of Wichita. It is quickly becoming the gateway town to the town I live in. It is where I work, have doctors and do most of my shopping. Now Derby has been full of fast food for many years and has one truly outstanding home grown pizza place,  a great home grown bar/burger place and recently with the expansion of Derby....we have been inundated with many chains such as Applebees, but Derby has lacked a really great down home, comfort food type of restaurant. Well I am pleased to say...no not even pleased...let's say ecstatic....no ecstatic isn't even strong enough. Let us say OVER THE MOON....that Derby now has a FANTASTIC new home town restaurant called Riverside Cafe of Derby.

I had heard from several friends that it was there. It is on the main drag which is K-15/Baltimore in the old Post Office strip mall. You can see the sign from the road, and although I knew it was there....I really figured it was just a flash in the pan type place. Perhaps I should pick up a Wichita Eagle from time to time and actually read. If I had....I would have known that Paul and Heather Cohlmia had opened this fabulous little place (3000 sq. ft. of little) in September and it has been doing land office business since. Maybe the reason for it's success is the fact that before Derby, the Cohlmia's opened the original Riverside Cafe in Wichita, on West 13th (in Riverside) and with it's success then opened another one in Wichita on Woodlawn in the old Livingston's building. From that success they decided upon Derby as their next spot. Lucky us!!!!!! By the time it made it to Derby...it was a household name amongst the connoisseurs of fine down home comfort food. Again....perhaps if I ever ventured beyond the borders of Derby....I might have known all of this. The fact that I didn't though....made today a wonderful surprise.

Z had more tests this morning...yet again and because of the tests, he couldn't eat before we left the house. By the time the tests were through....he was starving and there is little to eat up by Via Christi St. Francis,  so we made our way back to Derby, dropped off a prescription and decided to try out this new little restaurant that everyone was raving about. To see it from the outside, you would think it would be small and I was expecting maybe a little soda fountain type place with a couple of tables. Boy was I wrong. Now mind you....we walked in at 10:15 in the morning....and the place was busy. It has a nice ambiance of restaurant, soda fountain and friendly gathering place. It is meticulously clean and you get to seat yourself...something I like very much as I like to put myself strategically to watch people. Yes...I am a people watcher. Almost the moment you are comfortably seated in either a booth or at a table.....your drink order is taken and you are handed a menu, and believe me....this is SOME menu. They serve breakfast all day and have everything from appetizers to desserts and salads, burgers and full meals. It is the meals that really get you though. Talk about comfort. You can have ham and beans, chicken and noodles, goulash and swiss steak and this is just the beginning. Every comfort food you can think of was there and if you couldn't find what you were looking for on the menu....all you had to do was look on the back chalk board wall where everyday of the week offered three palate pleasing choices. I was drooling before I even ordered. Honestly.....I almost couldn't decide what to order. I wanted it ALL!!!

Z ended up settling on 1/3 pound hamburger with fries and I got the hot meatloaf sandwich. Honestly....the key ingredients here were the french fries and the meatloaf. A place is only as good as its fries and if you can make a good meatloaf.....then everything else is a piece of cake. The fries were wonderful. They were not greasy, nor were they wimpy. They were simply perfect. And as for that meatloaf....oh yum. It was about a 5-6" slice of meatloaf over two slices of white bread covered in brown gravy. It was also served with "real" mashed potato's complete with chunks of potato. It was to die for.

There was little conversation going on between Z and I as we were much too busy snarfing. Once done though I asked Z what his opinion was as if I didn't get a hint from the speed and accuracy in which he chowed his bruncheakfast. He let me know that this burger surpassed all others and being the burger snob he is.....he will likely never eat a burger from anywhere else. The fries he guarded like a pit bull and after my first taste I was no longer allowed to even gaze upon them. They were his.

The experience....and yes I say experience because that is what it really was. You simply don't expect to find something this wonderful in a town of fast food and chain restaurants. But the experience was amazing. After eating I just sat there looking around and planning my next visit back. I was so impressed that I even asked to speak to the owner and let her know that this blog was in the works. A place like this needs to be cherished and supported as Derby is now one lucky little town to have such a culinary establishment and I guarantee I will be dining there whenever money permits. And speaking of money....the menu is very reasonably priced. A family can enjoy a wonderful meal and not break the bank or have eaters remorse afterwards.

So you see....good food and a great atmosphere can do wonders for a broken spirit and this morning....thanks to Riverside Cafe of Derby and the wonderfully friendly staff....my spirit was soaring. To all the locals....do yourself a favor and give this place a try and for anyone not local that decides to travel down Derby way....the Riverside Cafe is a must try.

25 comments:

Janet said...

In Derby? Really? I must live under a rock. This place sounds great. Will definitely have to yry it out. Thanks so much for the info and the review. Also glad to see the blog.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been there and really haven't talked to anyone who has. This is very interesting and very helpful. We were looking for somewhere different to go for breakfast since we are all very tired of Village Inn. I believe this weekend we will be trying the Riverside Cafe. As always cmom, great blog and thanks for the heads up.

Angie said...

This is my first time reading your blog and what caught my eye was the title. I have seen the cafe from K-15 and wondered about it but haven't heard much. I am also sitting here at work starving and wondering what to eat tonight. After reading your blog, I believe my fiance and I will be trying out the Riverside Cafe tonight. BTW,I also read a couple more of your blogs. Great writing. I may just be a convert. Thanks for the restaurant critique. I can't wait for 5!

Angie Derby, KS

Anonymous said...

Been to Wichita's but didn't know we had one in Derby. Maybe I need to read a paper too. The one in Wichita was great and it sounds like the Derby one is just as good. I think I will be paying them a visit.

J'nelle said...

I am so jealous. That place sounds fabulous. I have relatives in Arkansas City and we travel to Kansas about once a year. I think I will have to do some mapquesting and check that place out. I wonder if there are any hotels close by? I will definitely make that a "must stop and eat" on our trip. Thanks cmom for the great info and for still blogging. Love it and love you.

Donna said...

I know you have been having a bad week. I am so glad that this place made you so happy. It sounds like a great place to eat and if you say it is good then that is good enough for me. Do they serve cheesecake? If not you ought to let them try yours. It sounds like The Cheesecake Chick and the Riverside Cafe would be a great pairing. I am tired of having to eat Italian just to get piece of your cheesecake. LOL

Mulvane, KS

Laura said...

Great blog. We ate there just the other day and it just as fantastic as you say. Your blog is a much better way of getting the word out than just word of mouth. I agree we have a gem in Derby and we should all do what we can to support it. I propose we all eat there at least once a day. LOL Seriously, great blog and I agree with Donna. What a great pairing your cheesecake and the cafe would be. That reminds me, I am going to need cheesecakes soon. Will give you a call. Laura

Anonymous said...

Where's the pictures of the burger, fries and meatloaf sandwich? I need visuals! Guess I will have to try it myself. Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Riverside Cafe's business just went up a few notches because of your FREE advertising. Its the best kind of advertising.

I wish I was just a wee bit closer. But the question that needs to be answered is how is their cheesecake? And did you leave a business card and set up a meeting with the owners?

Steve J.

Anonymous said...

Your blog just made tonight's dinner plans for us. I love shopping and eating local and it sounds as if the Cohlmia's made it much easier for me to do that. Thanks for the blog. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I live in MO but my mom lives in Wichita and we travel through Derby about once a month to check in on mom. I am always looking for a new place to eat and it sounds like this is just the ticket. I can't wait until next weekend. I am hungry already. Love the blog.

Darla Carthage, MO

Nonie said...

What a great review. You should review more businesses. You just upped Riverside Cafe's business a lot and all for free. It doesn't get better than that. I haven't been there but have also heard it is good from others. After reading this, I think we will be going there this weekend. Glad you are back.

Nonie

Anonymous said...

Do they serve cheesecake? If not you need to be talking to them. If these meals are as good as you say, then what would be better than a great meal followed by a piece of your incredible cheesecake? You need to be talking yourself up to these people. Will definitely be trying them out next time I am in town.

Jill said...

Thiry and I just ate at the one on 13th and were impressed...but I had not put two and two together and figured out that they were owned by the same people and are probably very similar!! It is nice to have some good ole sit down home cooking away from home every now and again!! Great review!!

Anonymous said...

I screamed with delight when I saw that you had a blog today. I screamed even louder when I learned of Derby's newest eatery. That place sounds amazing and if Z the burger snob liked it, then it must be good. Maybe I can talk to hubby into dinner out tonight when he gets home. Their food sounds better than anything I can fix. So glad you blogged today and what a great blog it was. Thanks cmom!

JR said...

Well your blog has won me over. Okay, it won me over a long time ago, but your review today won me over on the Riverside Cafe. The hubs, kids and I just got home. It was wonderful and I agree with Z. Those are some great burgers and the fries are perfection. Thanks for suggestion to eat there. We were not sorry and we will definitely go back over and over again. Thanks for the review!

JR Rose Hill, KS

Anonymous said...

OMG,thank you for the review on this place. To die for is right. I just found my new favorite place to eat. Great blog!

Marni said...

Hum....will have to try this place next time Im in town. Great review!!! And Im with everyone else....get your cheesecakes in there!!!!!

Diane said...

Does the Riverside Cafe know how lucky they are to have you in their corner? You can't pay for advertising like this. Not only are you reaching the locals, you are also putting the word out to anyone who might be visiting. Who knows, someone might make a special trip to Derby just to try out Riverside Cafe. What a great blog and a great review. Agreed that Derby has a real jewel and we need to support it.

Diane Derby, KS

Anonymous said...

One word YUM!

Anonymous said...

Breakfast all day? I am so there!

Anonymous said...

I have eaten there twice!! Luv it!! And may never return to Village Inn again!! I have always said that Derby needed someplace for breakfast other than VI!!! You are so right, it is a gem to Derby!!

Ps to Darla, i have relatives that live in Carthage!!

Chris L.
Mulvane

Ben said...

All I know is if I opened a restaurant I would sure want you to write my review. Great review. Great blog and it sounds like a great little restaurant. From the way you describe it, it could be one of those little places they feature on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives. You know I am a huge fan of yours Lisa and if you say this place is great, then it must be. Maybe someday I will make it down that way and try it out. Until then, I have friends down there that I will definitely share your review with. Glad you are still blogging and all the best to the Riverside Cafe.

Breakfast Fan said...

Cmom if you haven't had their breakfast, you have to go back. Their breakfasts are the best. You will never eat at Village Inn, IHOP or Denny's again. Their prices are great too. I live on a very limited income and even I can afford a Riverside Cafe splurge. When you eat their breakfast you will have to blog again.

Renea Goforth said...

OK just read your blog. I have been to Riverside Cafe in Derby 3 times for breakfast. I take my Mom to breakfast every other week. So glad to have somewhere other than VIllage Inn to eat. The food is delicious and the bill is so much cheaper. I am a huge fan.