Saturday, August 11, 2012

Here's To Us


I was told the other day....by someone who has only known me for just a few years, that I had really changed. The person told me that I was in no way the person I was when they first met me. I was not sure whether this was a compliment or not....but in fact I knew this to be an accurate statement. I have changed so much in the last few years in fact,  that I hardly recognize myself and barely remember the person I used to be (which actually might be a good thing). Heck...I have even changed a lot in the last six months. I can't say that it is all for the good, but then again....I can say that I like myself more today than I ever have. 

Yesterday was my wedding anniversary and although I wasn't in the depths of grief....the knowledge that once again I would not be spending the rest of my life or growing old with my best friend was brought home to me like a hammer. I fought the tears most of the day....but I must confess I shed a few anyway. Then I remembered.....he (Tim) of all people would want me happy and in the big scheme of things I really am. The reason for this in great part, is due to my friends.

I would not be the person I am today without the people around me. Yes..of course I am not forgetting my family whom have been what makes my world go round and who have shaped and molded me for both the good and bad all these years. However...I could not have made it through all the low spots nor would I have enjoyed the high spots nearly as much.....had it not been for my friends. I realized of late just how blessed I am in the friend department. I have many and I found this out when David was about to have surgery. Those that stepped up to help out were amazing. I cried more tears of gratitude in the last few months than I think I have cried my whole life. 

If you have read my blog...you know that this time of year throws me into an emotional whirlwind and as happy as I have been this year, the emotions are still sparking high. This year amongst all the other emotions I have had the honor of watching David recoup, recover and rehab in amazing ways. In the last week he has shown me in no uncertain terms that he is on his way to walking....with a vengeance. Even more wonderful than that his seizure activity is completely controlled by his current meds. This hasn't happened in over three years. Living with a miracle takes a huge toll on your emotions. Trust me. Lucky for me....I have people who I can share his every triumph with and I have no doubt I am not the only one who has shed a tear or two watching my young man achieve. 


This week coming up is going to bring me close to friends that I have known for years but only a couple of times a year are we able to connect. For some of us...it is distance and for the rest of us....it is just time, schedules and life. It doesn't matter though because when we do get together....no time has passed and we always have fun. These people I have known before my children and my husband. For some reason God chose to give me these people early on in my life knowing that someday they would be as important to me as family and that I would love each and everyone of them unconditionally just as I know they love me. I can't wait to see these people and spend time with them knowing that no matter what we do or who else is around....we share a bond that no one can touch.

Are you wondering why the sappy emotional blog? Well, I heard a song today that reminded me that time goes by so quickly. For my friends and I, the last 30 years has raced by in the blink of an eye and before the next 30 years pass...I want those who are important to me to know just what they mean to my life. Without the friends I have I would never have made it out of my teens let alone to today. I would never have laughed to the point of crying or been able to find humor in the sad. I have called you in the middle of the night and had you race to the emergency room, you have taken care of my children, fed me when I was too tired to feed myself or my family. You have guided me with your wisdom, made me laugh at your antics, you have gotten me drunk, sobered me up and yelled at me when I needed it. You have traveled great distances to hold my hand and sat next to me in silence when no words were necessary. We have laughed, we have fought and we always find our way back to each other. Most importantly though....I know that if I needed any of you.....for any reason at all......each of you are only a text or a phone call away. And that folks is what makes my friends the greatest friends of all. Berty, Thiry, Chris, Allen, Marni, Phil, Kevin, Steve and Jim.....to all of you I dedicate this song. For the sake of decorum (I have very little) I will put the family friendly version on here. I will also give you the link to the heart felt version.

So my friends.....Here's To Us!

Heartfelt version. Here's To Us!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you know that not everyone has friends like this. You are truly blessed.

MarniJ said...

My dear friend! This has brought tears to my eyes. I will have to add that we, your friends, are also truly blessed to have you in OUR lives. You have made me laugh more then once. The talks that we have, sometimes lasting for hours, are a great comfort to me. You have given me such amazing advice!!!
So....THANK YOU for being my friend!! NOW!! Get ready cause Imma coming to town.....LETS DO SOME SHOTS!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard that song before. I love it. What a great tribute to your friends. I really like the "heartfelt" version. You have some very lucky friends.

DL said...

To be a friend is one thing. To be honored as a friend is something completely different. You honored your friends beautifully. What a great blog and a great song. I loved it all.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you or your friends but this blog made me cry. The song says it all and to care about friends like that is amazing. I really loved this blog. I think this is my favorite blog of yours so far. Thanks for the good cry.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if your friendships have withstood the test of time. 30 years is a very long time. Great blog. I am sure your friends feel the same way about you. Here's to you!

Jamie said...

I LOVE this song. Where did you find it? I want to be one of your friends if this is how you talk about them. Very nice blog and incredible song.

KO said...

Here's to FRIENDS!

Anonymous said...

Our circle of friends were born over 30 years ago. We've seen a lot of happy times and other times filled with unimaginable tragedy and loss beyond understanding. At times our losses seemed unbearable. I know I've prayed and asked God many times to heal David and give you rest and peace. But you've weathered the many storms in your life with grace. I've been in awe of you for so long.

And when I was facing my one of the hardest moments of my life I called you. The bravest woman I know. I didn't call looking for sympathy. Nope. I called looking for strength and I got it.

I'm honored to call you friend. But I honestly, I saw your strength when we were kids. You were like a little sister to me. Your sense of humor was great, your patience was beyond measure (you could put up with me and brother) and you had an ability to stand firm when few others had the courage. But it was always fun to crack an off-color joke when you were around just to watch you blush.

But the funniest moments with you go back to high school forensics when you did your serious interpretations. I never cried so hard when laughing. Good times. Sure it was at your expense, but those were great times. :)

Seriously, you have always been the glue to keep our friendships together through the years. Yes, you have good friends. And so do we. Thanks for sharing. Its what you do best.

Your friend and adopted big brother.