Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fred Phelps, Spring Break, Pot and Quotes


Well....there is a lot consuming my brain today, so I guess I will do something I haven't done in a long while. I'm going to do an excerpt blog....short excerpts of all that is going on in my head. Fasten your seat belts....it could be a weird and scary ride.
~~~~~~~~~~

Today the Wichita Eagle posted on facebook that Fred Phelps Sr. the head of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church has died. Phelps, many members of his family as well as his followers have long been known for their preaching of hate instead of love and firmly resolving that God hates just about everyone and everything. In most recent decades, the WBC has become well known for picketing the funerals of soldiers, gays, children, murder victims and just about anyone else that might help them to promote their hate speech along with getting them public notoriety. While Phelps group seemed to be particularly hateful towards gays, their special brand of hate and strange views of Gods "love" seemed to include just about anyone and everyone that wasn't a WBC member. 

I have always felt that there might be a special place reserved in hell for Phelps because of the hate he has promoted and spread over the years, however today as I heard the news of his passing, my mothers words came to mind.  She always believed that you should never judge anothers soul because that is God's judgement alone. Only God and the individual know what is in their heart and soul at the time of their death and true sorrow as well as true forgiveness may also be present. Heaven or hell for each individual is God's choice and not based on the assumption of others, no matter how well we think we know the outcome. In other words.....God may have seen something in Fred's soul or may understand the big picture better than us. 

As a mere human it is hard for me to understand the evil I seemed to see in this man and the hate he seemed to thrive on, but it really is not for me to judge. So to Phelps passing I simply say, may God be kinder to you in death than you were to others in life. 
~~~~~~~~~~

Spring break is over half way gone. This year has been nothing like past years. We have spent a good deal of time at home and I have spent a good deal of time working on my asthma and my newly found ulcer. Both seem to be doing better but both have also curtailed a lot of normal activity. 

David is getting closer to being cast free and is getting anxious to get back into a more normal and social life. Hanging with Mom just doesn't cut it anymore. 

Z is enjoying his last spring break as a high schooler. True to his nature he has managed to balance a social life and still help me with David. He, like the rest of us is starting to feel the tug of spring and the unsettled feeling of both ending and beginning chapters in life.
~~~~~~~~~~

I have never been a supporter of pot, weed, marijuana or whatever else you choose to call it as a recreational drug. I have very definite reasons why and maybe someday I will regale you with a blog on those why's, however recently I have been  reading some interesting stuff on the use of marijuana for controlling seizures. 

I had seen some fb post in the past where mothers with seizure kids had been discussing the new findings and the possibility of being able to get medical marijuana for seizures in non-pot legal states. So I was asked the other day that if I found marijuana to be a good seizure treatment if I would turn to it for David. The answer......I don't know. 

First I would have to do a great deal of checking into it and see actual written findings on outcomes for seizure patients. My belief is that pot could and likely does have a place in our society with healing properties for diseases such as seizure disorders and even cancer. That being said.....penicillin is an amazing drug too, but not recreationally. Yeah, I know that makes me sound old and antiquated, but as I said....I have my reasons. So yeah, bring on that research and show me some positive outcomes and I just might consider pot where David is concerned. Especially if it meant him having a seizure free life. 
~~~~~~~~~~

And finally I will leave you with some of my favorite quotes:

You have to go through what you have to go through, to get to where you need to be. Tim

If life is what you make it...then I think I will make mine.....chocolate! Unknown

Children are not choices, burdens, property or pawns. Children are simply gifts! Unknown

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.' Erma Bombeck

Now that wasn't so scary.....was it?. Me



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog. I kind of like it when you are all over the place. I have no real opinions on Phelps death because "if you can't say something nice," and I found your info on pot and seizures very interesting. I had not heard about pot being used for this although I do know that as you pointed out indirectly there are studies on it helping and even preventing cancer. Finally, I loved your quotes, especially the Erma one. Glad to see you blogging more.