Monday, November 17, 2014

Eating the Elephant


My life is changing....for the better I think. After 50+ years, things seem to be coming together and life lessons seem to be sinking in....to a point anyway. I am now living my life as if there is a giant elephant that I must eat. Yeah, bare with me. I promise this analogy will make sense in a minute. Here goes........You can't eat an elephant all at once and my particular elephant is a couple of tons. So how do you eat said two ton elephant? One small bite at a time. See.....aren't you glad you stuck around for the analogy explanation?!

Okay, so my elephant is all facets of my life and every day, I am trying to take a bite. Some days those bites are tougher than others.....literally, and other days those bites are much more palatable. Whatever the case though, this elephant is going down!!!!

One piece of this whole change thing, is my home. My home was built the year I was born. I have lived here a good chunk of my life and although it has many issues both structurally and cosmetically....it is my home and I love it. Quite honestly, even if I won the lottery tomorrow and could afford a huge new home, I think I would stay right where I am and just remodel. Sorry neighbors. You seem to be stuck with me! Of course the remodel would likely cost more than a new house, but did I mention I love my home? Because of this, I have a plan for 2015. It is NOT a resolution...it IS a plan and trust me, the two are very different. 

My plan for the new year is to remodel (within my non-existent budget) and refurbish my home. I am going to once again do it a bite at a time and in the process, give myself and my children the home we both need and deserve. The only problem I can see with this plan is.....I have no clue what I am doing. While YouTube videos and How To books are helpful, I am much more of a hands-on learner. If someone shows me how to do something, I am golden, but videos and books fall short in my learning curve. That is why I am going in search of a handy-person/teacher. That's right, I'm gonna find someone to HELP me eat that damn elephant. 

I figure if I can find someone with mad carpentry/electrical/plumbing skills, a kind heart and the willingness to teach me how to repair my home myself, then I should be in good shape. I am sure as people read this they already have their hands in the air, jumping up and down and saying, "Pick me!" In case though, that is not the case, then I am patient (don't laugh) and I can wait for this person to magically appear in my life with tool belt on waist and hammer in hand. As long as they appear before Jan. 1st!!!! Perhaps I should write Santa about this........

So you know, this whole thing is going to be another major adventure in Lisaland. Hopefully not quite the adventure that say David's surgery and recovery or the whole pool/deck thing were, but an adventure none the less. Yes, don't worry, I will be bringing you all along for the ride. How could I not? 

Well, I must be off. After all, I have an elephant to eat.....oh and a teacher to find! Happy Monday everyone!

2 comments:

MarniJ said...

Wish I lived closer! Not that I am good at any of that stuff but I would be right there beside you learning and helping!! LOVE REMODELING!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes lady, you just strike a chord!