Sunday, July 1, 2018

Lil' Duece Scoop


While I know that I claim this blog is to be "all about me," occasionally though, I like to share the love and talk about others too. Today is such a day.

I am sure you all have heard me say a time or two just how much I love my little town of Mulvane, KS. I have lived here well over 40 years and this is home so I may be a bit partial, but I don't think so.

We have a quaint little downtown area that 40 years ago was self sustaining with everything from a drug store to an appliance store and everything in between. Back then, few even needed to drive out of the city limits to get just about anything they needed. Of course, over the years businesses have come and gone and Mulvane like many small towns has taken a hit. It is hard for small businesses to keep up with the likes of Walmart, Lowes and other big chain stores. In the last few years though, Mulvane has begun a revitalization that is bringing new life back into our little town. Sadly the days of the corner market and the hometown hardware store have left us, but they are being replaced by hometown run restaurants and wonderful little shops that make you want to take the day shopping, eating and enjoying all that our little town has to offer.

One of the newest offerings in Mulvane and a business that I think is crucial to all small towns is an ice cream shop. In the past we have had ice cream shops but they have not boasted a long life here in our little community. This time though.....

So I have heard that this shop was coming to town and I have, like the rest of Mulvane, "patiently" impatiently waited for news of it's opening. Well Friday it came and Facebook was all a flutter with the news that the staff would be training this weekend and so as of Friday, they would be training with "real" customers. Eeeeeeee.....there were literally goosebumps.

Sadly, it wasn't possible for me to get down there Friday or Saturday, so I lived vicariously through all the posts I saw about how great this little ice cream shop was. To say that I was jealous at all my FB friends enjoying wonderful bowls and cones packed full of delicious ice cream on these 100 degree days was an understatement. What was impressive though, was the comments made about this new little shop. Not one person had a bad thing to say and there was nothing but praise and support for our newest little business. Way to go Mulvane!

Well today I could contain myself no more, so I gathered up my granddaughter Willow and she and I decided to try out the Lil' Deuce Scoop ice cream shop so I could get my ice cream fix. It is located at 110 W. Main in Mulvane and I must say I loved it just for the address, as many years ago, I myself had a business at 110 W. Main in Mulvane.

Walking in to the familiar and yet completely different little building, I was impressed at how clean it was and the wonderful smell inside. It hosted a fridge full of bottled craft soda's and an ice cream counter where you have your choice of many delectable flavors, with the added bonus of some sugar free and soy flavors. Once you have chosen your flavor, then you can have your pick of having it served in a cup, a cone or a waffle cone made there in the store. They also have a regular soda fountain as well as a candy nook in the back with some old favorites you can buy by the pound.

So Willow chose a flavor called Superman which looked to maybe have a chocolate base with bright yellow, red, blue and orange color throughout it. My picky little Willow plowed through her cup in record time and let me know....in case I was wondering....that she was still hungry and could go for another cup. I took a less adventurous route and had the key lime ice cream. It was beyond delicious. I too could have gone for another cup.

The cups that the ice cream and sundaes (I did mention they have sundaes too....right?) are served in
have the nutrition label on there that states....You don't want to know what's in it. Meaning, Wisconsin cream, sugar and all that yummy stuff that makes it decadent and desirable. Truthfully, I was good not knowing the ingredients or the calories. I was happy just to sit there in the air conditioning, reminisce and watch my granddaughters delight at her ice cream treat.

Unfortunately, the small downtown's of days gone by are gone. They have been replaced with the downtown's that have an eclectic almost vintage feel with shops and restaurants that draw the weekend crowds and city folk to a quieter more relaxed pace of life. Lil' Deuce Scoop is putting their own hometown touch to this wonderful little ice cream store and making it a place where both hometown residents and visitors will love to come.

I encourage you if you are ever in our neck of the woods to come check out all that Mulvane has to offer with not only the Lil' Deuce Scoop, but also Luciano's, Amy's Pizza Place, Laurie's Kitchen, Jane's Landing, The Naughty Tiger, W P Fripperies, Rowan's and more...... I know you will be glad you did. 

No comments: