Monday, March 7, 2011

Lost Weekend, Movies and Day 17

This weekend just flew by....and now we are back at Monday. I am so tired this morning....I just want to crawl back in bed and sleep. What's worse is....I just realized that this is the last Monday that I get to "sleep in!" Next Sunday begins Daylight Savings time which means next Monday I will be getting up an hour earlier. I am  thinking that it is impossible for me to get up another hour earlier....unless of course  I go to bed at 6 p.m. Sunday night! You know.....I may just have to do that!

Well recapping the weekend.....I got next to nothing accomplished. I guess you could almost call it a lost weekend. I do however feel 1000% better than I did on Saturday. I did get my dogs bathed and Spud sheared down to his internal organs. He is now rockin' his spring look and not one little bit happy about it. And just as we suspected....under all that fur......he IS a fat dog! Oh....and since our trip to the vets....the dogs are fine. I made it to Mass and once again felt as if the sermon was directed at me. Either I have many issues.....or Father is on a one man pilgrimage to make me a better person. I am thinking I just have a lot of issues! And finally......I got to watch two really great movies. One was For Colored Girls (seriously intense and at points.....very sad) and one of my all time favorites.....Finian's Rainbow.

I loved Finian's Rainbow. That movie made me feel good clear down to my toes and was so appropriate with the oncoming of St. Patrick's Day. It had such good lessons such as....skin color doesn't matter. What matters is what's inside, leprechauns ARE real, and we all have a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that we are searching for! Okay....maybe those are just my takes on the movie. However....the music is phenomenal and it was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday. In fact.....I am thinking that this is a movie I need to own!

So all in all......as weekends go....mine was pretty unproductive....but short none the less. I guess I just need more weekend!!!!

Well it is 30 Day Challenge time.


Day 17 - A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life recently.





There is only one thing I could think of when I saw this one. It is of course....my blog and this 30 Day Challenge. The two together have (as the title says) made a HUGE impact on my life. For one.....I have expressed views, ideas, and thoughts that I most likely would not have let out if not for this blog. It has been cathartic in so many ways and much like working out.... has let me relax and let go so that I am usually much nicer to be around during the rest of the day. 

It has also helped me to be more disciplined with my writing....something I desperately needed. I have had  this blog since 2007. That year I think I only blogged maybe 3 or 4 times. Then I didn't blog again until 2009 I believe. Again....with only a few blogs. Even in 2010 my blogging lacked in posts and enthusiasm. In 2011 though....much in part thanks to the 30 Day Challenge....my blogs have grown. Granted.....being prolific doesn't mean the quality is always there.....but the very fact that I have made my writing a priority speaks volumes. The last time my writing was this much of a priority.....I was getting ready to graduate high school!

Probably the hugest part of all of this though is......I have found a passion again! Writing used to be something that I ate, drank and slept. It was everything to me and many a night I would stay awake all night because of all the ideas in my head. Not until recently has a piece of that passion come back. Granted.....because of who I am and where I am in life (kids, job and all) I can't do the all night thing any more.....but the ideas are back. As I have said.....I dream about them and they come to me at all hours of the day and night (usually when I should be doing something else)....but they are there! It is exciting and fun and as I said......very cathartic.

No longer do I long to be the famous writer who traipses off to New York to become "somebody!" I am very satisfied to sit in my own little recliner and tap away on my laptop...writing about that which makes me happy....and knowing that to my kids.....I am not just somebody.....but I am the person that keeps their world in sync and their laundry clean. I may not be writing the next great American novel.....and maybe only a few people will ever read what I write. But if I make someone smile every now and then or bring a tear to their eye because they were touched by something that I wrote....then you know what....I am just pretty okay with that!

No comments: