Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Be the Change....One Need at a Time!


Well, July is winding down and this year so far has been something of the "you just can't make this stuff up," nature. I will admit that there has been much of 2018 that has been truly difficult and that I wasn't sure whether we would all come out okay or not. In some area's....that still remains to be seen, however....one thing that has stood out to me most about this year has been the kindness and generosity of the human spirit. Without this kindness, many prayers and the generosity of friends, neighbors and strangers, I have no doubt I would have crumbled long ago and that David and I would not be where we are today. We are beyond blessed and when this kind of kindness is bestowed upon you, you have no choice but to pay it forward. That is what I spend almost every single day thinking about and trying to do and even with that, if I lived to be 110 and continued to do this daily, I would still not half cover all that has been given to us physically, emotionally and spiritually.

If you remember on June 1, 2018, I told you that I was starting 100 Days of Kindness and encouraged others to follow suit. Well, we are now 55 days in and over half way through and I continue to daily do my best to be kind, help and encourage others in a positive way. Along with this, I am also working to bite my tongue (just because I can say something doesn't always mean I should), leave judgment to God (our judgments are seldom made with all the facts) and I am working towards being the change I want to see in the world.

One thing I have been painfully aware of for many years is that there is always need out there.....even in my small community. In this day and age, there are many single parents trying to make a living while trying to pay for childcare. Sometimes paying for the childcare takes over half the paycheck and there is little left over for food, rent, utilities and necessities. Or what about the elderly person who has lived independently all of their life and might still be able to if small issues like yard work, or maintenance issues were taken care of. Often though, living on a fixed income does not leave a lot left over for such "luxuries." Or what about the working poor who are everywhere. Both parents work and they make too much for medicaid or food stamps, but not enough to keep all the bills paid and the kids all fed. And the need goes on and on. Some of it glaringly obvious and some not so obvious, but it is there.

My community is a good one. I saw this first hand when we almost lost our home. Those that helped financially did so without a thought and those that couldn't helped in any way they could. There were many behind the scenes advising me with contacts, many praying for us and many helping to organize events. People wanted to help and they did in so many ways. Now I have people coming to me telling me they still want to help in the community. They may not have cash to throw around, but they have skills and know how and if there is a need, they want to know about it and help fill that need.

We are blessed to have many community organizations and groups that are willing to lend a helping hand in times of need. We have a Care and Share which is our small town equivalent of a Goodwill. Through Care and Share they also help those who have certain financial or other needs. They support the community beautifully and give when they can. We also have churches who have food pantries and who help to cover utilities in times of need for not only their own congregations but for the community at large and we have local groups that work tirelessly to give back to the community and fill a void when there is a need. Yes, we have so much but what we really have is our people.

Mulvane is full of good people who are always willing to lend a had when a friend, neighbor or even a complete stranger needs help. It is these people that make our community strong and help us to show the younger generations what it means to be a part of community that gives back. It is these people who I have decided to approach in the process of working on my 100 Days of Kindness.

A while back, even before my house fiasco ever happened, I had started a facebook page Mulvane....Community Gives Back. My intention was to have a page that was nothing but people helping people in the most positive ways possible. When there was a need, I wanted people to feel comfortable stating it and for anyone that could help to be able to address it. I wanted our community to be able to help each other.....one need at a time. Since that time though, I have become even more impassioned about the idea as I have realized and seen that there is great need even in the smallest community and this need comes from our friends and neighbors. We truly need each other. So that is why I am trying to find those out there that have talents and skills and asking them to give of these talents and skills to help those who need them.

It doesn't matter if all you can do is pick up sticks in a yard, someone who just had surgery may find that particular ability invaluable to them. Everyone can do something whether it is doing someones laundry, cooking a meal or cleaning a house up to having the skills to repair something electrical, fix plumbing or build a wheelchair ramp. There is also babysitting or sitting with an elderly person so a caretaker can have a break. Or maybe you know your way around the fog of insurance companies, healthcare or taxes and you might be able to help someone who needs that specific skill but doesn't have the finances to be able to pay for the help. There are a million and one ways, even in our small community to help each other and I am trying to bring both the helpers and the ones in need together.  Because of this, I have started another page Mulvane Gives Back Helpers and Handymen so that those with skills, talents and a desire to give back can make their presence and skills known.

This whole thing is not for for recognition, praise or financial gain for anyone who chooses to be involved. On the contrary, it is for one purpose and one purpose only.....to help our community. My hope is that eventually maybe Sally has a faulty light switch that she can't afford to have fixed and her need is known. John just so happens to be an electrician and he steps up and fixes Sally's light switch. In passing John states that his son is having trouble with math in school and needs help. Sally happens to be a whiz at math and offers to help John's son. And thus, the giving back and helping one another will just goes on and on.........

So this folks continues my 100 Days of Kindness. This is my way of giving back and being the change I want to see in the world. If you are a Mulvanian and care to join me in this community effort, please check out the highlighted links above. If you live elsewhere, then maybe you too can be the change. All it takes is one person to talk to another one and soon the idea can become a reality.

Be the change!

No comments: