Tuesday, April 27, 2021

That Time of Year



Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of the Andover tornado. It is a memory that will be with me forever. It was one of those events in life that I will always remember every detail of the day, right down to the way the air felt and how it smelled. So the following blog piece in no way makes light of the power of a tornado or the damage that it can do. It simply says that yes, they do happen, but to live in fear of Mother Nature is futile, so find the beauty and yes, even the excitement in the storm, and then use your head and take precautions....and really, isn't that how we should handle everything in life?  

It's that time of year. Yep, it is tornado season in Tornado Alley. As scary as that may sound to some, to many of us who actually live here, this time of year is rather exciting. No......that is not crazy talk. 

In the midwest, from late March to mid-June, it is prime time for spring storms that often work themselves into major tornadic events. It is a changing of the seasons where warm and cold air meet, causing atmospheric changes that result in amazing light shows across the sky, and much-needed rain for the new life coming up out of the ground after a long winter's sleep. To be honest, I think this is actually my favorite time of year. 

Yes, I have seen a good many tornados in my life and lived through some pretty crazy near misses over the years. I have also seen the aftermath of those giant tornadic beasts once they have been unleashed on homes, neighborhoods, and even towns. It is not a sight you will soon forget, and yet many after living through such a thing, will often go right back to where it happened and rebuild, and life will go on. How brave of them of them you say? No, they just know that no place is without its dangers, and even in the heart of Tornado Alley, most never face a tornado head-on, so if you happen to be in its path and the worst does happen, what are the chances of it happening again? Don't you love our mid-western logic? 

That being said, there is something electric about this time of year. Maybe it is the fact that everything is starting fresh and new. Everything is coming into color again as the black and white of winter fades into the background. The heat of the sun starts mixing with the humidity of spring days and before you know it, you can literally feel when a storm is brewing. I remember my mom used to just know when we were going to have storms. She always said she could "feel" it. As a kid, I had no idea what she was talking about, but as I grew older and lived through many storm seasons myself, I too learned what it was like to "feel" a storm coming. 

My mom wasn't the only one who knew when storms were on the horizon though. Our dogs over the years have always been pretty amazing indicators of incoming storms. When I was young we had an outside dog, who you couldn't drag in the house if you wanted to, except if bad storms were headed in. He knew they were coming long before we did and he let us know by making a mad dash inside the house if the door was opened. He was never wrong. Nowadays, we have a part Rottweiler part Boxer who is a yard and garage dweller. He has no desire to be indoors as he loves his leisurely days outdoors (nor matter the season) and if the elements bother him, he has a nice cozy bed in the garage. He is one content pup until there are storms in the air. On these occasions, you open the door and he dives past you and runs straight to the basement. He wants no part of the outside. My corgi too is affected by storms. As he has gotten older, storms bother him more and more, and long before I even am aware of a storm, he begins pacing and whining. He too wants to be in the basement, a place he usually avoids at all cost. These dogs just know. 

Me on the other hand, when I feel that electricity in the air as the heat and humidity meet, it makes my heart race a little faster. It is an adrenaline rush that goes clear to my bones. It is a feeling I have felt my entire life and I actually look forward to it each year. In a strange way, it makes me feel alive. Maybe it is because the long winter months are over and this time of year is all about life. 

As I have gotten older though, I have also noticed that with storms in the air, you can tell a definite change in people's attitudes too. Kids seem to be more restless and a lot less cooperative and adults get cranky and combative. It also affects my head. I think it has to do with the barometric pressure, but the older I get, the more these storms seem to trigger my migraines. If social media is any indication, I am not the only one. 

When these storms do hit, even in the fury that they can sometimes bring, there is also a beauty. There is just something about the thunder rumbling and then booming a crescendo and watching the lightning dancing across the sky in streaks, sometimes dipping straight down to the ground that make me feel as if I am looking at some of God's greatest works. And there is just something so stirring about watching the rain fall at times softly and then suddenly in torrents as if the skies were opened, and then finally the wind comes to play. These magnificent storms seldom come without the wind, twisting the leaves on trees and bending branches at times to their breaking point. The wind will grab the rain and send it sideways making it almost feel like it could cut you if you stayed in it too long. The air literally swirls with electricity and anticipation as you wait and wonder what Mother Nature has yet to give in the next moments. Usually, it is just a light show illuminating rotating clouds that hold the question, will they continue gearing up for the emergence of a tornado, or will they just rapidly move on by, leaving their possible devastation for another day? 

After the storm, there is usually quiet. Often the sun peaks through the dark, ominous clouds as they move on to their next destination. The raindrops glisten in the beams of light and the air begins to heat up again after the cooling rain. It's as if every leaf, plant, and blade of grass seem to stand a little taller and a little brighter after the soaking rain and the air smells clean and new. Everything is not only alive but it seems to be thriving, even after such a storm. As quickly as the storm began, it is gone and all is settled. The animals are calm, the kids calm down, adults seem to lose their "stormy" attitudes and even my headaches seem to subside. The world is cleansed and it feels almost like a peace is settling in. Is it any wonder I am so infatuated with this time of year?

Now I know that severe storms and possible tornadoes are not everyone's cup of tea, just like a hurricane and strong earthquakes would not be mine, but if you look, and I mean really look, there is beauty in the worst of things and it seems to me more so, in those that have as much potential to cause disaster as they do to bring forth life. 

So the next time that you hear that there is potential for severe storms and tornados in my neck of the woods, just know that around here, kids are fussy, adults are fussier, the dogs are heading for the basement and my heart is racing with anticipation, just waiting for that first rumble, first flash and those first drops..... of soul healing rain.

Do you like storms like I do? If so, tell me about it in the comments. Until next time, stay safe, stay healthy and look for beauty everywhere....even in the storms. 

No comments: