Monday, September 19, 2011

Taste of Home Favorites

The weekend turned out well. My house is in ruins, but then again, when is it not? The boys and I did a nice staycation and did some things we don't normally make time to do. I did a great deal of writing this weekend for some different projects and I think I am actually ready for a new week. Today will start some interesting twists and turns and I will keep you posted on my new ventures and how they are going. While today is suppose to be warm and sunny....this weekend was anything but. It got me to feeling really fall like and looking forward to some of my favorite cool weather meals.

One of my all time favorites is a recipe I got years ago from my most favoritist (don't judge me) magazines....Taste of Home. I have cooked from TOH for years and never found a recipe that I didn't like. This particular one came from a section they used to have called Men Who Run the Range. The recipe is called Jim's Potato Soup and it is the best potato soup I have ever eaten. To make it even yummier I put just a touch of sour cream on top, along with some shredded cheese and chopped green onion. It is absolutely the essence of comfort food and perfect for those chilly fall evenings.

The second recipe, also from TOH is a twist on meatloaf. While I love my mom's meatloaf, Lil' Cheddar Loaves are a close second and whenever we want something a little different, I pull this recipe out. The cheese and the tangy sauce that goes on top kick regular meatloaf up quite a few notches. Both recipes are easy and made with ingredients that most of us keep on hand. Yes I know....these recipes aren't overly healthy, but then again....you can't eat healthy all the time.




Jim's Potato Soup
 1/3 cup diced celery 
1/3 cup diced carrot 
1/4 cup diced onion 
2 tablespoons butter 
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
1 quart milk 
2 chicken bouillon cubes 
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt 
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cooked


In a 3-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, saute celery, carrot and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add bouillon, parsley, salt, seasoned salt and cayenne. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cube half of the potatoes and mash the other half; add all to the soup. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).

Lil' Cheddar Loaves

  1. In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.
  2. Stir in cheese, oats, onion, salt and rubbed sage.
  3. Add beef and mix well.
  4. (It will seem runny at first but will thicken up as you mix.) Shape into 8 equal sized loaves (oval/egg shaped) and place in a greased 9X13X2" baking dish.
  5. Sauce: Combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard.
  6. Spoon over each loaf so they are all covered in the sauce.
  7. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Well, here's my recipes for this week. Hope you like em' and as always, I would love to hear your comments and even see a few recipes from you guys. For now though, I gotta say Happy Monday and I am outta here.





5 comments:

Dina said...

Yeah I made it hear before anonymous. These recipes sound wonderful and I don't care one little bit how healthy they are. Keep these recipes coming. I live for Mondays.

Anonymous said...

At least your are consistent with the types of recipes you post. They are always full of fat and starch. You say you have a bunch of new projects. Let's hope one is overhauling your recipe collection.

Marni said...

OMGosh....I love potatoe soup and am always looking for a new one to try!! Its getting cooler here so its almost time for a good soup.

And Anonymous.....STFU!!! So its Monday and you are just not needed. It must be amazing to be you...in your perfect life....that you can throw judgements around like nothing else. You need to get out there and see what the REAL world is like....cause I think your stuck in your house...sitting on the couch....doing nothing but having a laptop on your lap. What a life you have....what a life!!!

DINA!!!! WOO HOO your the winner today cause I have tried to beat Anonymous. Good for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Someday's you just need to be able to like or love blogs more than once. Today is one of those days. Those meatloaves look absolutely delicious. I will be making those tonight!


Knoxville, TN

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

SHUT up. I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you and question everything wrong with your pointy little head.

There. Taste of Home is an awesome magazine. Little freaks who subscribe to Moo-Chelle's communist dietary mandates have no idea what a good home cooked meal is all about. And let me guess, Anonymous is overweight.

Good meals take work. And then when you're done with a fine meal you go do some more hard work. Something PHYSICAL that burns requires calories. And you probable have no idea what Work is all about.

So get back your special order supersized McWuss sandwich!

Steve J.