Friday, July 1, 2011

One Great Way To Spend an Evening

Better late than never. Don't know though...that I have ever been this late before. My first day of vacation just got away from me. It started when I ended sleeping later than normal. It was nearly 7 when I finally crawled out of bed and we were out the door right around 7:30. And we haven't stopped since. My exhaustion unfortunately was my own fault. I ended up staying up way too late, sitting out on the front porch just reminiscing. It is amazing the thoughts that come to mind on a warm summer night along about midnight!

I was thinking about the day we moved into this house in June of 1976 and then when we moved back in February of 2003. When we originally moved in....I was right around 13. It was a year that moths were horrible and our "new" house was crawling with them. The little creatures freaked me out and it was several days before I felt comfortable in my new surroundings. When we moved back in 2003, Mom had just died and everything that was hers was still here. I was torn between keeping everything the same out of respect for her and making it "our" home. Again...it took me awhile before I felt comfortable in my "new" surroundings. I guess this is an example of the more things change....the more they stay the same!

My journey into the past also included remembering each of my neighbors....who still remains after 30 some odd years, who has moved, and who has left this world completely. I tried to remember each house on the block and how it used to look. Amazingly not a lot has changed. I thought of my own yard and the care my mother took with it. It was all flower beds and gardens...front and back. We also had enough grape vines to have our own winery and her attempt at her own private orchard. Summers were glorious times in our lives as we always had an abundance of fruits and veggies, homemade ice cream was a staple and we were outside from dusk til dawn. No one ever dare utter the words "I am bored," around my mother because immediately..... they were no longer bored....as there was always weeding, watering, picking or canning and freezing to be done. What a wonderful child hood I had...and didn't even begin to realize it at the time. My yard certainly doesn't look like that today!

I also traveled down the many roads of indecision regarding my little town, my family and my life. I remember growing up and loving this town, my friends and my way of life. Then I hit my late high school years and the desire to crawl out from under my mother's thumb and this towns loose lips and watchful eye began to get the better of me. I wanted to run....not walk away. And eventually I did, only to find that I missed my home, my family, friends and my town more than I ever dreamed possible. It became overwhelming to the point of coming home being a need. So I came back. I tried to grow up, become a part, find me, but soon the desire to get away and move on over took me again. And again....I left. This time I didn't go quite as far away and through leaving found my niche, my future and love. I was happy and content....but when life flipped me inside out and upside down......once again I knew that home was calling me. This time....coming back was like slipping into a comfortable, familiar skin. I have never looked back and now....I can't imagine ever living anywhere else. I am truly home and I simply could not be happier.

Yeah....last night was awesome. Just me, my thoughts and a beautiful, warm summer night. I couldn't help but think about those who will never know the simplicity of just enjoying a summer evening, or watching a couple take a midnight stroll, hand in hand in the safety and peacefulness of their own universe. I  could see the towns main street from my porch and not a single car passed. There were no sirens, no loud noises and no big city dangers. It was just me and a peaceful world full of nothing but comfortable thoughts and wonderful memories. And that my friends.....is one great way to spend an  evening.

So June is over and July is upon us. When trying to think what to do for July....one of my readers had asked me why I hadn't done the 30 Day Song Challenge yet. Why??? I have no idea....but I guess July is as good as time as any. So here are the daily rules:

Day 01 – Your favorite song
Day 02 – Your least favorite song
Day 03 – A song that makes you happy
Day 04 – A song that makes you sad
Day 05 – A song that reminds you of someone
Day 06 – A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 07 – A song that reminds you of a certain event
Day 08 – A song that you know all the words to
Day 09 – A song that you can dance to
Day 10 – A song that makes you fall asleep
Day 11 – A song from your favorite band
Day 12 – A song from a band you hate
Day 13 – A song that is a guilty pleasure
Day 14 – A song that no one would expect you to love
Day 15 – A song that describes you
Day 16 – A song that you used to love but now hate
Day 17 – A song that you hear often on the radio
Day 18 – A song that you wish you heard on the radio
Day 19 – A song from your favorite album
Day 20 – A song that you listen to when you’re angry
Day 21 – A song that you listen to when you’re happy
Day 22 – A song that you listen to when you’re sad
Day 23 – A song that you want to play at your wedding
Day 24 – A song that you want to play at your funeral
Day 25 – A song that makes you laugh
Day 26 – A song that you can play on an instrument
Day 27 – A song that you wish you could play
Day 28 – A song that makes you feel guilty
Day 29 – A song from your childhood
Day 30 – Your favorite song at this time last year

So Day 1 is Your favorite song. This is kind of tricky. Does it mean your current favorite song or your favorite song of all time? In my case....I have many "favorite songs" it just depends what mood I am in. One song that I really love though is from the Dixie Chicks. I know....many people turned their backs on the Chicks after they tried to mix their politics with their music, but regardless....these ladies are talented and I truly love Natalie's voice. This song is one of my favorites of theirs. It puts to words how I have been known to feel a time or two. This is definitely one of my all time favorites Here is the Dixie Chicks and Cowboy Take me Away!

And on that note.....here is wishing that whatever is left of your Friday....is absolutely fabulous!

1 comment:

Marni said...

was wondering when I was going to get my LIsa fix today!! Whew!!!! Sounds like you had an amazing evening!!! Good for you! Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!